Freescale and NXP to form $40bn firm

BY Richard Summerfield       

NXP Semiconductors N.V. and Freescale Semiconductor Ltd this week announced a $16.7bn merger, including the assumption of debt, which will create a firm with a total enterprise value of $40bn.

Under the terms of the deal, NXP will pay $6.25 in cash and 0.3521 shares of NXP stock for each share of Freescale stock. In a statement announcing the transaction, NXP confirmed that the deal will be funded with $1bn in cash and a $1bn debt offering, in addition to around 115 million new NXP shares.

“Today’s announcement is a transformative step in our objective to become the industry leader in high performance mixed signal solutions. The combination of NXP and Freescale creates an industry powerhouse focused on the high growth opportunities in the Smarter World. We fully expect to continue to significantly out-grow the overall market, drive world-class profitability and generate even more cash, which taken together will maximize value for both Freescale and NXP shareholders,” said Richard Clemmer, NXP’s chief executive officer in a statement announcing the deal.

The deal will create an industry heavyweight with about $10bn in annual sales. The largest producer of analogue chips, microcontrollers and other types of semiconductors, Texas Instruments, had sales of around $13.05bn in 2014.

Although the deal has been unanimously approved by the boards of directors of both companies, it is still subject to regulatory approvals in various jurisdictions and customary closing conditions. The deal, expected to close in the second half of 2015, must also be approved by shareholders. Once the merger has been completed, Freescale’s shareholders will own around 32 percent of the new firm. NXP’s stockholders will hold the remaining 68 percent.

The transaction will see a conglomerate of private equity investors, including Permira, Blackstone, Carlyle and TPG Capital, complete a partial exit of Freescale, acquired by the consortium in 2006 for $17.6bn. The group currently owns 64 percent share of Freescale. Once the deal has been finalised, the private equity firms will still hold around 19.1 percent of the merged company.

News: NXP to buy Freescale Semiconductor to create $40 billion co

©2001-2016 Financier Worldwide Ltd. All rights reserved.