Vantiv and Worldpay in $10.4bn merger

BY Richard Summerfield

US credit card payment processing company Vantiv Inc has agreed to acquire its UK rival Worldpay in a deal worth $10.4bn, a move which will create a $29bn global payments giant.

Under the terms of the deal, Vantiv shareholders will own 57 percent of the newly combined group while Worldpay investors will hold the remaining 43 percent. Vantiv has offered 55 pence in cash, 0.0672 of a new Vantiv share, an interim dividend of 0.8 pence per Worldpay share and a special 4.2 pence dividend, for WorldPay.

The combined company will be led by Vantiv CEO Charles Drucker as executive chairman and co-CEO. Current Worldpay CEO Philip Jansen will be co-CEO of the joint group. Vantiv CFO Stephanie Ferris, will continue as CFO of the combined group. The board will consist of five Worldpay and eight Vantiv directors.

“Our combined company will have unparalleled scale, a comprehensive suite of solutions, and the worldwide reach to make us the payments industry global partner of choice," said Mr Drucker in a statement announcing the deal.

“The growth of e-commerce and the way consumers expect to transact is increasing complexity for businesses around the world,” Mr Jansen said, adding that the “combination of scale, innovation, technology and global presence will mean that we can offer more payment solutions to businesses, whether large or small, global or local".

Vantiv expects the deal to result in annual recurring pretax cost synergies of about $200m by the end of the third year following completion of the merger. It expects to incur one-off integration and restructuring costs of about $330m, most by the end of the second year.

The two firms initially announced their intention to merge in July, however given the scale and complexity of the deal, it has taken a number of weeks for management of both companies to reach an agreement on certain conditions, including guaranteeing a London listing for the newly merged company.

The deal is the latest in a number of mergers in the evolving payments processing industry. Consumer trends are changing, and as more people turn away from cash transactions and utilise smart devices and mobile payments in the future, the industry is likely to look very different in the coming years.

News: U.S. card firm Vantiv clinches $10 billion deal to buy Worldpay

©2001-2017 Financier Worldwide Ltd. All rights reserved.